Wednesday, October 14, 2009

At your funeral...

My husband did a radio program on, "Who will be crying at your funeral?" The idea is that there may be a lot of people at your funeral, but only a few of them will be crying. Our priority in life should be to invest our time in those who will be crying at our funeral.


Just this week, we lost an acquaintance to a debilitating disease. Both my husband and I had admired this man for his many great character qualities, but one thing he was remembered best for was his diligence in witnessing to every one that crossed his path. Those who knew him best knew that he rarely let an opportunity pass to tell others about Jesus and what He had done in his own life.


As I have reflected on what people remember most about this man, I have been reminded to invest my life in those who will be crying, but to also make sure that the things they will be saying reflect a life well spent. As those who are crying at my funeral summarize my life, will the things they say reflect a depth of spiritual life and character or will I have been just a good person? A wife or mother can be remembered for doing lots of loving and sacrificial things for her family, but in order to really succeed, she must have lived a life that was consumed in focusing others on eternity.


Who will be crying at your funeral and what will they be saying? Will their statements reflect a life of temporary good or of eternal significance?

1 comment:

Anita Marie said...

Saw this on a friend's blog and thought you might like it.

Excuse this house

Some houses try to hide the fact that children shelter there,
Ours boasts of it quite openly, the signs are everywhere.
For smears are on the windows
Little smudges on the doors.
I should apologize I guess for toys strewn on the floor.

But I sat down with the children
And we played and laughed and read.
And if the doorbell doesn't shine,
Their eyes will shine instead.

For when at times I'm forced to choose
The one job or the other,
I want to be a housewife,
But first I'll be a mother.