Monday, July 6, 2009

Friends in Czech Republic




Today we are on our way to Prague. We are on our way to see friends that we already know and to see new friends that we are eager to get to know. We have met so many wonderful people on this trip, but once in a while, it just seems that there are people that just seem to rise just a little bit above the rest of us and I view them as treasures that are here on earth for a while before they go to heaven where they belong. Let me tell you about two of the treasures that we visited with in the Czech Republic.

First, let me honor Pastor and Mrs. Fojtu. We have known them since we lived here in Czech seventeen years ago and my esteem for them has only grown over the years. We travelled about two hours from our place in the Czech Republic to the little village where they live. We visited with them for about five hours and in that time, they insisted on us eating three different times! They were so pleased that we had come by that they welcomed us with lots of food. This was just one example of how they have been giving people over the years. After one of our meals, Pastor Fojtu (who is now 75 years old), took us way up high in the mountains and picked mushrooms and wild blueberries. When we returned to the house, Mrs. Fojtu (who had stayed behind to cook more food), cooked these delicious mushrooms and we sat down to another meal.

What is so special about this couple is their grateful and servant attitude. What a person would assume if they didn't know better was that this couple has enjoyed a typical life for a couple married over fifty years. Instead, if you can get him to tell you so, this couple has suffered more for their faith than probably anyone else that I know personally. Under communism, as a young pastor and father, Mr. Fojtu continued to pastor his church there in Czech until he was put on the Russian's "black list" as he termed it. Because they found him with a Russian Bible twice, he was put on their hate list and removed from his pulpit. They then sent him to work in a chemical factory. Other friends of his were imprisoned, one for a very long time, while he was sent to work in difficult and unsafe conditions.

It was such an inspiration to sit and talk to him and never hear one word of bitterness or hatred toward those who took so much of his lifetime from him. Although we asked questions about the conditions he suffered under, it was very rare for him to say much more than, "it was difficult at times" or "it damaged my health some," the rest of the time, he was always telling ways that God had been good to him and helped him through it all. I would like to honor a gentle elderly pastor and his wife living in obscurity in a little village in the Czech Republic as a couple that have immeasureably inspired my life!

Another jewel in our lives we also have known since we lived in Czech before is Milada Birnbaum. Some people seek for great things and positions and only want to do things that other people see. Then there are those like Milada who love those around her in so many humble ways and seem to think nothing of it.

Milada is the mother of Alex Birnbaum who attended Hobe Sound Christian Academy after we returned from Czech. She was diagnosed with cancer eight months ago and was given six months to live. Even though her strength is waning and she endures much pain, she insisted on doing our laundry for us a couple of times during our stay in Czech. Have you ever seen laundry done with love? When she returned it to us, I could see that she had done each piece of clothing with love. Every piece of clothing was carefully washed, folded and lovingly thought over. How do I know this? Because I know Milada and even though I can speak very little with her because of our language differences, I have no doubts about her love for me, and I hope she knows that we love her in return.

When we saw her for the last time today, I knew that she would not want her picture taken as today was not a good day for her, but I took a very special gift to her—to a lady that I have adopted as my Czech mother. I took some roses in and two coffee mugs. One coffee mug said "to the best mother" and the other one said "daughter." In my very limited Czech I told her that I would take the daughter mug home and think and pray for her when I use it, and I would leave the "mother" mug for her to remember me by. I don't know why we don't have the custom of stroking the face of someone you love very much, but when she stroked my face and spoke to me, I felt her love and cried with her. I want to honor my Czech mother in this blog today. God bless you Mother Milada and may God's love be with you as you face difficult days ahead. Perhaps the words of a song are best to express my prayer to God for her…

His (God's) strength is perfect when our strength is gone
He'll carry us when we can't carry on,
Raised in His power, the weak become strong
His strength is perfect, his strength is perfect.

We love you!

No comments: